Wednesday, June 29, 2011

On "Leaving"

So, I’m leaving tomorrow. This is a reality that I don’t think I can fully comprehend until I land in Philadelphia. Or perhaps not even until I am hit by the inevitable (and very real) wall of humidity upon stepping off of the plane in Benin. Well, just to be safe, maybe I better give it a couple of weeks after that. I have spoken with a lot of people about this “leaving” business (“I’m doing what?”) over the past two weeks, and, for lack of a better word, it has been unreal. I don’t think that I had even thought about “leaving” and all of those things that accompany that word until I spoke with my Aunt Michele on Saturday. After I photocopied some of my vaccination records at the farm, she said goodbye as she walked out of the office and hugged me, explaining: “just in case I don’t get to see you again before you leave.” What?! Of course you will! Only then did it occur to me that my departure was around the corner, threatening to collide with me if I rounded that corner too quickly and naively. Sure, I’ve been going through the motions of packing, shopping, and making travel arrangements, but little did I think about how I was doing all of this so that I could “leave” at the end of it. 

Probably because “leaving” implies so much more than what I intend to do. As long as two years might seem at times, it also has a tendency to fly by just when you want it to take its time.  Gosh, many of my friends will barely be half way through their graduate studies by the time I get back! “Leaving” is also a nearly impossible feat when even people in developing countries (read: me) have access to technologies like Skype and universal cell phone coverage. Indeed, I will be anything but totally disconnected. Time and distance become so finicky in these types of situations. 

Luckily, I’ve had a few experiences which have brought this realization home and which have made my “leaving” a little more tangible and less nebulous. We are in the process of selling my beloved Tortoise (so many wonderful miles in that car!) and I called Verizon the other day to ask about discontinuing my cell phone service. I’ve even made arrangements for my faithful companion Stanley to be taken care of by my family (Mom and Dad – just drop a few pieces of Betta food into his bowl once a day to win his heart over). So final. It’s almost as if I’m moving to Africa in a few days or something.

This brings me to your role in all of this. I will miss all of you immensely, so I hope you’ll write me a letter updating me on your latest adventures. Also, please follow my blog by clicking on the link to the left of these posts! Do it. 

Keep in touch everyone.

Now, off to make this experience a little more real…

2 comments:

  1. yay!! good luck! I'm so jealous you are going back to Africa! Enjoy your adventure and I look forward to getting to read about it and living vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and take good care of yourself Anna. We will miss you!

    ReplyDelete